How to get a driver’s license in Thailand (Pattaya) without passing exams
April 8, 2022
If you have an international driver's license, then you can use it to drive a car or motorcycle – Thailand accepts an international driver's license.
If you wish, you can get a Thai driver's license based on international ones. In this case, you will not need to take any exams.
The closest place you can go to change your driving license in Pattaya is the Land transportation department of Banglamung.
See also: Where in Pattaya to get and renew a driver’s license
To obtain a driver's license based on international one, the following set of documents is required:
- international driver's license, photocopy of the front part, as well as a spread with a photo and a spread of permitted categories of vehicles
- original passport and photocopy of pages with photo and name, as well as the current stamp on crossing the border of Thailand
- certificate of residence (for details, see the article “How to get a certificate of residence in Pattaya, what is it and why is it needed”)
- medical certificate (for details, see the article “Where in Pattaya to get a medical certificate for a driver’s license”)
- certificate of Training passed on the website dlt-elearning.com
The process of obtaining a driver's license based on an international driver's license in Pattaya
Collect the necessary documents and head to the Land transportation department of Banglamung.
There, find a window for foreigners. During my visit, foreigners were received under a canopy with chairs, located opposite the entrance to the Department.
On the first day for the appointment, I took a number and waited for my turn.
On this first day, they checked my documents, indicated which documents were missing and set a new date and time.
I was informed that since I do not have a visa, they will give me a driver's license valid for only 2 years – that is, temporary driver's license, although after the temporary ones I should have been issued permanent ones with a validity period of 5 years.
You can apply for both a car license and a motorcycle license at the same time.
I arrived on the appointed date, instead of a number, I waited to be called.
They checked my documents again, gave me a number and set the time for which I was supposed to come to the second floor of the Department.
At the appointed time on the second floor, they checked our ability to distinguish colors, gave us documents to check for the correct name and passport number, and sent us to the cashier for payment.
After payment, they issued a new number and sent for photographing for documents. Photographs are taken in front of the entrance to the Department on the left side (yes, on the street).
After photographing, you should wait for your license to the right of the entrance to the Department (there are seats on the street).
The number 1 marks the place for taking pictures, the number 2 marks the place of waiting for the issuance of a driver's license. Photographing was done from the place of submission of documents.
- Where in Pattaya to get and renew a driver's license (100%)
- How to renew an expired driver's license in Thailand (Pattaya) (100%)
- How to get a certificate to renew a Thai driver's license (100%)
- DLT QR LICENCE: Thai driving license in your phone (100%)
- Driver's medical certificate in Thailand – how to get it with the least cost of time and money (66.7%)
- Good news for traveling to Thailand in late 2022 and early 2023! (RANDOM - 50%)