How to pay with QR codes in Thailand
November 17, 2022
You may have noticed that in Thailand it is ubiquitous using QR codes: from large supermarkets to a vegetable vendor in the market and a barbecue stall – everyone has a QR code!
At the same time, it is also striking that even in those places where terminals for accepting card payments are installed, almost no one pays with a card! Only rare foreigners insert or lean cards. And a Thai can have 5 bank accounts opened online, and not a single bank card, since they are not popular for payment, and you can withdraw cash from ATMs without a plastic card.
The situation described above has its reasons. For a long time, acquiring (the cost of servicing a terminal for paying with a card), instead of being hidden in the price of the goods, was charged as a three percent surcharge when paying from the client. So you want to pay by card? Yes, you can, but it costs you 3% more than the listed price.
As for payment by QR codes, this transfer is essentially a money transfer from your bank account to the bank account of the seller. At the same time, in Thailand, for several years now, it has been legally prohibited for banks to charge a commission for interbank transfers within the country.
1. QR code for receiving payments can be received by anyone in the application for online banking
2. Any other person with an online banking application can pay using this QR code
3. This transfer will be instant, no commission is charged for it either from the sender of money or from the recipient
I think now it’s a little clearer to you why QR codes are so popular.
Sellers in markets and stalls simply print out their QR code and put it next to the goods. And in shopping centers, after scanning your purchases, a unique QR code is generated, in which, in addition to the details for payment, the amount for payment is already included.
What you need to pay by QR code in Thailand
To pay for a QR code, you need the following:
1. You must have a Thai bank account
- How to open a bank account in Pattaya
- How to open a bank account in Thailand with a student visa
- Bank accounts in Thailand: how to open, costs, features
2. You must have an online banking application installed
3. You must have enough money in your account to pay
How to pay by QR code in Thailand
1. Open the online banking app
2. Select “Scan”
- To make a payment through the Kasikorn Bank app, click the “Scan/MyQR” button.
- To make a payment through the Krungsri Bank app, click the “Scan” button.
- To make a payment through the Bangkok Bank App, click the “Scan” button.
3. Point the camera at the QR code
4. If necessary, enter the amount to pay
5. Check the correctness of the data and confirm the payment
How to transfer money to a bank account in Thailand from abroad
Using cryptocurrency, you can make international money transfers with minimal commissions and at the most favorable (for you) exchange rates. Thanks to the anonymity of cryptocurrencies, you can transfer money from one country to another without going through validation. See the article for details: Alternative to LocalBitcoins: instructions for using LocalCoinSwap.com
- What is PromptPay and how to use it in Thailand (100%)
- How to register for PromptPay at Krungsri (100%)
- How to register for PromptPay at Bangkok Bank (100%)
- How to register for PromptPay at Kasikorn (100%)
- How to generate a QR code to receive bank transfers in Thailand (100%)
- How to pay your water bill in Thailand (RANDOM - 63.6%)