How to enable international roaming in AIS
March 6, 2023
Table of contents
1. What you need to know about working with Thai SIM cards abroad
2. How to enable international roaming for AIS
3. How to extend validity a Thai SIM card
4. How to extend AIS without topping up balance
5. AIS packages for international roaming
6. How to prevent money loss in international roaming. Setting up your phone for international roaming
If you bought a SIM card in Thailand, then you may be using it to communicate with friends, and also perhaps to receive SMS alerts about the movement of funds in a Thai bank account or for two-factor authentication on social networks and other sites.
After returning from Thailand, you will most likely want to keep the SIM card and continue using it. But an unpleasant surprise may await you – having already left Thailand abroad, you may find out that the Thai SIM card does not work in other countries!
What you need to know about working with Thai SIM cards abroad
So, let's look at how to prepare for using a Thai SIM card abroad.
The following must be remembered:
- By default, international roaming is disabled for Thai SIM cards.
- For Thai SIM cards, there is such a thing as a “validity period”. Even a SIM card with a lot of money on the balance may stop working after a while.
- If you are going to use a Thai SIM card for calls and Internet access, then you can pre-purchase a roaming service package and save a lot.
This article tells you how to enable international roaming for a Thai SIM card, as well as how to extend its validity.
How to enable international roaming for AIS
Launch the AIS mobile app and log in by clicking the “Login” button on the main screen.
Then go to the “More” page.
Go to the “Service” tab.
Select “International service”.
Activate services and click “OK”.
This setting enables both international calls and international roaming at the same time.
You will receive a notification that international roaming has been successfully enabled.
Please note that enabling roaming may take time. If you try to check the setting value right away, you may see the status “Inactive”.
But when you try to re-enable, you will receive a message:
Sorry, the service is temporarily unavailable at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
No need to worry, just wait a bit and then check your international roaming status again, it should change to “Active”.
To check the status of international roaming in AIS without a mobile application, dial the number
How to extend validity a Thai SIM card
For SIM-cards in Thailand there is such a thing as “validity”. This validity period does not depend on the current balance of the phone number, but is extended each time the balance is topped up.
Moreover, if the SIM card has expired, this does not mean that the money is lost. They seem to be blocked. To activate them, you need to replenish your account.
That is, let's say you had 50 baht in your account. The SIM card has expired and has become blocked. After that, you replenished the balance by another 50 baht. As a result of this action, your SIM card will be unlocked, and there will be 100 baht on your balance.
The expiration dates of SIM cards vary for different mobile operators and may depend on the selected tariff or purchased Internet package.
For example, in dtac and AIS, the user is now given 1 year from the last recharge. Previously, only 1 month was given. Note: just in case, double-check this for your tariff! And in TrueMove, only 1 month is given.
You do not need to top up your mobile phone regularly to keep your SIM card valid. For a few baht you can buy an extension of the validity period.
How to extend AIS without topping up balance
There is no option to buy additional SIM card validity periods in the AIS app, as can be done in dtac and TrueMove.
This is to some extent compensated by the long validity period of the SIM card after the last top-up – 1 year.
Also, if you wish, you can set up automatic balance replenishment – each such replenishment will extend the validity period of the SIM card.
To do this, go to the “More” page and on the “AIS” tab, select “Auto top up”.
You can choose from the following options for automatic replenishment of your mobile phone balance:
- Monthly Top up – monthly automatic replenishment of the balance on the selected day of each month
- Auto Top up – automatic replenishment of the balance as soon as it becomes less than 50 baht
- Freedom Top up – fast replenishment of the balance at any time convenient for you using the USSD command *124 (ATTENTION: this USSD code may not work abroad)
AIS packages for international roaming
Go to the “Packages” page and select “Roaming / Ready2Fly” there.
Select the country you are going to visit and the package type:
- Data – data transfer, mobile Internet
- Voice & SMS – calls abroad, receive calls abroad, send SMS messages
If there are special packages for the selected country, they will be shown.
Roaming packages universal for all countries will also be shown.
Packages differ in duration, number of gigabytes included, number of minutes, total number of SMS and maximum number of SMS per day.
To view details about each package, click “Detail”.
How to prevent money loss in international roaming. Setting up your phone for international roaming
You can disable mobile internet if your phone is abroad (“Data roaming”). This is a very convenient feature that does not affect the use of mobile Internet within your country. In addition, if you buy a SIM card abroad, you will still be able to use its mobile Internet, since for it the mobile networks of a foreign state will be local.
Go to “Settings”, to do this, slide the curtain down and click the gear icon.
Go to the “Connections” section.
Go to the “Mobile networks” section.
Turn off the “Data roaming” slider.
Now, when you get off the plane and turn off Airplane mode, your phone will not try to connect to the Internet abroad.
But at the same time you will receive all SMS messages and incoming calls.
If you buy a foreign SIM card, then you can use its Internet without disabling the considered function (since mobile networks will be home for a foreign SIM card).
If you purchased a SIM card for mobile data abroad and if your phone supports dual SIM, you can explicitly specify which one should be used for different communication services.
Go to Settings → Connections → SIM manager.
Here you can explicitly select which SIM card should be used for calls, SMS messages and mobile data.
- How to enable international roaming in dtac (90.5%)
- How to enable international roaming in TrueMove (90.5%)
- Best mobile data plans in Thailand (71.5%)
- 5G networks in Pattaya, Bangkok and other cities in Thailand: my impressions (71.5%)
- How to set up login without OTP SMS in the AIS application (71.5%)
- Climate and weather of Pattaya (RANDOM - 50%)